Visiting Researcher Requirements


All applicants must meet certain requirements in order to be eligible for a Visiting Scholar or Visiting Student Researcher position at UC Berkeley.

  • Visas

    Non-U.S. citizens will apply for a J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa sponsored by UC Berkeley. Visiting researchers receive a J-1 visa and their spouse and dependents receive J-2 visas. The Institute of European Studies, under the direction of Prof. Jeroen Dewulf, will serve as the official host department and sponsor for the J-1 visa and campus affiliation. Visiting researchers may not initiate the visa application process until their appointment has been officially approved by the IES Director and by the UC Berkeley Visiting Scholar & Postdoc Affairs Office (VSPA).

    NOTE: Visa processing requires a minimum of 3-6 months. Scholars should NOT make any travel arrangements until after the visa is approved and issued.

  • Income and Funding

    IES does not provide funding for Visiting Researchers. Visitors are required to provide proof of their own funding (such as a sabbatical salary, grant, or fellowship from an extramural organization). J-1 scholar funding requirements are established by the U.S. Government. The minimum funding requirements are currently: $1,800 per month available for yourself, plus $500 per month if you are accompanied by your spouse, plus $300 per month per accompanying child. (For example, visitors planning to come with a spouse and two children would need at least $2,900 per month, or $34,800 per year.)

  • Health Insurance

    All international visiting scholars on the UC Berkeley campus are required to have medical insurance that meets the University's minimum coverage requirements, either through the UC Berkeley Visiting Scholar Benefit Plan or from another insurer. Please refer to the VSPA Health Insurance & Benefits page for more information.

  • English language proficiency

    UC Berkeley requires all international scholars to provide proof of English language proficiency (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS, or signed documentation from an approved English language school). Upon verification, a confirmation of demonstrated proficiency in English can be issued by the IES Director. Visiting researchers cannot rely on staff support for translation services.

For more information regarding Visiting Researcher requirements, please contact the Berkeley International Office(link is external)(link is external) or visit the VSPA website(link is external)(link is external).

Program Fees

The following fees apply to IES Visiting Scholars and Visiting Student Researchers:

  1. VSPA University Services Fee: $ 750 for Visiting Scholars / $1,000 for Visiting Student Researchers

    This fee applies to all Visiting Researchers and is required by the University’s Visiting Scholar and Postdoc Affairs office (VSPA) to obtain a university ID card and gain access to campus facilities and resources.
  2. DS-2019 Processing Fee (for international J-1 scholars only): $650

    This non-refundable fee is for the Berkeley International Office (BIO), which produces the DS-2019 form required to obtain the J-1 visa. 

  3. U.S. Government Visa Fees (for international J-1 scholars only)

    Visa fees are paid directly to the U.S. government (Consulate/Embassy) and are subject to change without notice. Please refer to the U.S. Department of State website for the most up-to-date fee schedules.

  4. IES Administrative Fee:

    Visiting Scholars Visiting Student Researchers

    up to 2 months: $1,000

    up to 5 months: $2,000

    up to 8 months: $3,000

    up to 12 months: $4,000

    Fees vary depending on the terms of the agreement signed with IES partner institutions. Please direct any questions about applicable fees to your home university.

Program Fee Payment Schedule

Visiting Scholars and Visiting Student Researchers should follow this schedule for the payment of the required fees:

1. DS-2019 Processing Fee + IES Administrative Fee (if applicable)

The total amount of these two fees (if applicable), including all applicable banking costs, must be wire transferred to IES before we can start the application process. Fees need to be paid in US dollars. IES is not able to accept payments via Western Union.

The total amount needs be wire transferred to the following banking account:

Wire Transfer Payment Details:
Bank Name: Bank of America, NA
Bank Account Number: 0175380001
Routing/Transit (ABA) Number: 026009593
Swift Address: BOFAUS3N
Physical Address for Routing: 100 West 33rd Street, NY, NY 10001 USA
Bank Address: 1655 Grant Street, Concord, CA 94520 USA
*Organization: (Sender’s Name)*
Beneficiary:  University of California Regents/For the Institute of
European Studies – Visiting Scholars Program

After you complete the wire transfer, please send a confirmation to IES Program Manager, Rachael Longuepee at <>. Please note that these fees are not reiumbursable under any circumstances. 

2. VSPA University Services Fee

Visiting Scholars and Visiting Student Researchers are required to pay the University Services fee online
before arrival at UC Berkeley. For details, visit the VSPA website.

3. U.S. Government Visa Fees

Visiting Scholars and Visiting Student Researchers will need to pay these fees directly to the U.S. government (Consulate/Embassy).

With questions about fee payments, please contact IES Program Manager, Rachael Longuepee at