Center for German & European Studies
With support from the DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service), the Center for German and European Studies at the University of California, Berkeley promotes the American understanding of contemporary developments in Europe, and particularly in Germany. The Center organizes conferences, workshops, lectures, and study groups in which specialists from several disciplines and countries explore long-term trends and current affairs. We also offer generous research support to faculty, graduate students, and undergraduates in the humanities and social sciences.
- Support academic scholarship, teaching and comparative research projects
- Strengthen political, economic, and cultural ties between Germany, Europe, and North America
- Emphasize collaboration in order to promote the interdisciplinary study of Germany in a European context
- Promote and encourage the study of the German language
- Provide funding for graduate and undergraduate research exchanges in Germany
- Provide a forum for discussion and knowledge-exchange of contemporary German and European issues
CGES and IES also collaborate with the Pacific Regional Office of the German Historical Institute(link is external) on a rich program of conferences and lectures focusing on transatlantic history, German and European history, and transregional and global history.