Visiting Student Researchers

You are here

***NOTE: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2020-21 IES visiting student researchers program is currently suspended until further notice. Please contact with questions.***


Application Information for Visiting Student Researchers

Every year, IES welcomes a select number of Visiting Student Researchers from its partner universities in Europe. This Program is designed for current Masters and PhD students who participate in exchange agreements through the following universities:

University of Cologne, Germany

University of Hamburg, Germany

University of Regensburg, Germany

University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany

University of Muenster, Germany

University of Luxembourg

Uppsala University, Sweden

University of Lausanne, Switzerland

Inland University, Norway

University of St. Andrews, Scotland

All universities in Austria through the Austrian Marshall Foundation

PhD students from other universities will be considered on a case-by-case basis, pending exceptional approval by the IES Director.

For more information on how to apply, please refer to the application instructions below.


Prospective applicants who wish to be considered for Visiting Student Researcher appointments should review the following information:

  • Once accepted into the visiting student researchers program by IES, non-U.S. citizens will apply for a J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa supported by UC Berkeley. The visa application process will be initiated by the IES program manager in cooperation with the Visiting Scholar & Postdoc Affairs Office (VSPA). NOTE: Visa processing requires a minimum of 3-6 months. Students should NOT submit a visa application to the U.S. Embassy independently, and should NOT make any travel arrangements until after the visa is approved and issued.
  • Students must demonstrate proficiency in English and cannot rely on staff support for translation services. Visit the VSPA site for more information on English language proficiency requirements. Upon verification, a confirmation of demonstrated proficiency in English can be issued by the IES Director.
  • Students must have their own source of funding and will be asked to provide evidence that they can cover their own health insurance for the duration of their stay in the United States. The Institute does not provide funding or health insurance for Visiting Student Researchers.
  • A tentative acceptance letter can be provided in advance for those students who have been selected by their home university and are applying for fellowships or grants that require a statement of affiliation with an American institution (for example, DAAD).


Details of Visiting Student Researcher Appointment

IES expects that Visiting Student Researchers will contribute to the intellectual life of the Institute by attending lectures and conferences, interacting with faculty and students and supporting the work of other scholars.

Visiting Student Researcher appointments include university library privileges, e-mail, and access to other campus facilities.

No other position, including positions in other Berkeley departments, whether paid or unpaid, can be held at the same time, without approval by the Institute’s Director. Additionally, payments of any kind for lecture services at other institutions must be approved ahead of time by the Director.


Visiting Student Researcher Fees

All visiting student researchers are expected to pay a number of fees:

1. DS-2019 processing fee: $ 500

This fee applies to international Visiting Scholars only and is not required for U.S. citizens or permanent residents. This non-refundable fee is for the Berkeley International Office (BIO), which produces the DS-2019 form required to obtain the J-1 visa. It must be paid to IES in U.S. dollars via wire transfer or cashier’s check payable to “UC Regents.” IES is not able to accept wire transfers or payment by Western Union.

2. VSPA University Services fee: $ 1000 

This fee applies to all Visiting Scholars and is required by the University’s Visiting Scholar & Postdoc Affairs Office (VSPA) to obtain a university ID card and gain access to campus facilities and resources. NOTE: As of August 1, 2019, visiting scholars and visiting student researchers will be required to pay the University Services fee up front, before arrival at UC Berkeley. This fee may be paid online by credit card.

3. U.S. Government fees:

  • Department of Homeland Security SEVIS processing fee: $180
  • U.S. Embassy/Consulate J-1 visa application fee: $160

These fees apply to international Visiting Student Researchers only and are not required for U.S. citizens or permanent residents. The fees are paid directly to the U.S. government (Consulate/Embassy) during the visa application process. Please note that U.S. Government fees are subject to change without notice. Please refer to the relevant website for the most up-to-date fee schedules.

4. IES Visiting Student Researcher administrative fee:
Fees are waived or may vary depending on the terms of the agreement signed with partner universities. Please direct any questions about applicable fees to your home university. If the terms of the agreement signed with your home university require the payment of an IES administrative fee, the full amount must be paid prior to arrival at Berkeley. It must be paid in U.S. dollars via wire transfer or cashier’s check payable to “UC Regents.” IES is not able to accept payments via Western Union.

With questions regarding fee payments, please contact IES manager Gia White by email.

Income Requirements

The University requires proof of your funding, as well as at least $1,800 per month for yourself, $500 per month more for a spouse, and $300 per month more for a child. Please also note that the University requires that you possess adequate health insurance. Please click here for more information about minimum external funding and health insurance requirements.


Living in Berkeley

Visiting Scholars may visit the Berkeley International Office for more information on housing, healthcare, transportation, family resources and other orientation matters. Scholars are responsible for securing their own housing accommodations and cannot rely on staff support in order to do so.

Application Instructions

  1. Students from our partner universities (listed above) cannot apply directly to IES. Rather, they must apply through the international office at their home university that is responsible for the selection of candidates. Candidates must be selected by their home university at least 6 months prior to the start of their planned stay at Berkeley.
  2. PhD students from other universities should submit an application to the IES Director for exceptional approval, with the following materials: 
  • Cover letter including a 100-word abstract of your research project and the requested period of residence (start and end date)
  • Curriculum vitae (max. 3 pages)
  • Description of research project to be carried out at IES / Center for British Studies (max. 3 pages)
  • Letter of nomination from a UC Berkeley faculty member 
  • Statement of financial support, health insurance, and funding sources

All materials should be written in English. Please submit applications as a single PDF to IES Director, Prof. Jeroen Dewulf, at

Questions and inquiries concerning our Visiting Student Researcher Program should be addressed to Dr. Julia Nelsen.



Institute of European Studies
207 Moses Hall, #2316
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720-2316

UC Berkeley logo

© Copyright UC Regents.
All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Statement